Due to an increase in volume of work from new contracts and supporting continued growth, Stirling Dynamics is looking for a talented Software Verification Engineer to join our team at the Engineer or Senior Engineer level (depending on experience).
The ideal candidate would be familiar with all aspects of verification & validation throughout the software and systems development lifecycle from requirements elicitation to customer acceptance. Experience of embedded systems, real-time operating systems and safety-critical certification of software aspects within the aerospace and defence sectors will be an added advantage.
Working across our portfolio of aerospace, training and simulation and marine systems programmes, the ideal candidate will be flexible, willing to learn and value a changing environment. An ability to work from rapid concepts to more formal safety critical development projects and work closely with control and simulation engineers is essential to success in this role.
This role is based in our Clifton office (moving to North Bristol, December 2019) and may require occasional trips to customer sites in the UK or internationally. The candidate must be willing to undergo and obtain UK Security Clearance. Applications from individuals working at systems level V&V will also be considered.
- Be a key part of the software team providing in-house software engineering capability to the business
- Working across the software development lifecycle, undertake verification and validation (V&V) of software for the following system(s):
- Non-flight worthy active flight control simulator products (sticks, throttles, pedals and G-Seats)
- Safety-critical marine and aerospace autopilot control system(s)
- Safety-related aircraft Nose Wheel Steering System (NWSS) Control Unit(s)
- Be willing to travel and engage with the customer in providing support during system acceptance
- Promote verification and validation know-how and software safety testing expertise within the business
- Provide expertise in the application of safety-critical standards to software V&V within the business
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the software function in its tooling and processes
- Promote within the project environment adherence to quality and standards, including those issued via the Company’s Quality Management System, classifications and statutory bodies
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree qualified (e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Embedded Systems)
- Awareness of DO-178B/C, IEC61508 or other equivalent software safety guidelines and standards
- Experience in writing V&V planning documents, test plans, procedures, results analysis and reporting
- Practical experience in working within the systems (and software) “V-Model” lifecycle
- Fully conversant in UML (or SysML) for systems analysis and specification in influencing software V&V
- Understanding of the testing constraints within embedded, real-time & safety-critical systems
- Exposure to DOORS for requirements management and V&V purposes (desirable)
- Working knowledge of C and C++ (Ada or FORTRAN advantageous)
- Awareness of the role of coding standards in V&V and their application (e.g. MISRA)
- Experience of Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS): QNX, VxWorks, RT Linux, LynxOS
- Awareness of DevOps, continuous integration and tooling: JIRA, Perforce, GIT, Jenkins, etc.
- Low-level device driver testing experience: CANBUS, RS232, RS485, Ethernet and ADC/DAC
- Prior experience of conducting V&V on MATLAB/Simulink auto-code
- Experience in the use of testing tools (LDRA highly desirable)
- Experience of Texas Instruments Development Environment and C2000 series processors (desirable)
The personal qualities of the jobholder will be key to success in this role. The following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the role:
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and be able to demonstrate initiative
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently when required
- Ability to take ownership of an activity and see through to a successful outcome
- Demonstrable diplomatic and professional approach when dealing with colleagues and customers
- Confidence to challenge practices and the willingness to question to gain a full understanding of issues
- The capability to work efficiently and accurately, with an attention to detail
Application deadline: 22/12/2019