An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Technical Manager to lead our software capability.
You’ll have a solid background in software engineering and be looking to further your career within management.
You’ll need proven professional experience in the design and development of safety critical software within a systems environment coupled with a detailed knowledge of regulated software development processes. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and in teams must also be demonstrated in addition to your technical ability.
This is a key role within the Engineering Function with responsibility for the development of the Software Department’s technical capability and line management of staff.
The capability serves multiple business units within the organisation and covers both product engineering and service provision within multiple domains (aerospace, marine, training & simulation).
In addition to the capability ownership, you will be technically leading and contributing to software projects and supporting bidding activity as required. You’ll report to the Head of Engineering and Production.
You must be willing to undergo and obtain UK Security Clearance.
Technical Accountabilities (Project Delivery)
• Provide technical leadership of complex software intensive projects delivering to time, cost and quality.
• Drive technical excellence through promoting robust and industry accepted software engineering methodologies.
• Act as quality authority (check /approval) of software related engineering outputs.
• Working with Project Management and Business Management lead the generation of technical solutions in response to customer needs, support cost estimating and bid preparation.
• Develop and maintain a Capability Technical Road Map (CTRM) that defines the current and future capability strategy for the software capability.
• Ensure the software capability has the necessary tools and processes to ensure successful project delivery.
Line Management and Resourcing
• Effectively line manage a diverse team of engineers ensuring positive staff conduct, provision of welfare and adherence to Company & Human Resource policies.
• Maintain staff performance and manage staff development ensuring that formal development reviews are conducted in a timely and appropriate manner and training needs are identified and acted upon.
• Plan resourcing (retain and recruit) of software capability through identifying future mix of skills and resource needs against project demands.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s Degree (Masters desirable) in a relevant engineering discipline.
• Be well versed in a variety of programming languages and software engineering toolsets with focus on C/C++ and coding to defined standards.
• Experienced in software engineering in highly regulated and safety-critical environments (ideally demonstrable knowledge of Do-178B/C, IEC61508 or related)
• Practical experience in working within the systems “V-Model” lifecycle and practical understanding of the value of Configuration Management (CM)
• Successful leadership and delivery of complex software intensive projects.
• Familiarity with the development of electronic hardware to standards such as Do-254 would be desirable.
• Familiarity with requirements management tools (such as DOORS) would be advantageous, but not essential.
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative.
• Technically capable, able to fit the role of a trusted expert within the organisation.
• A willingness to embrace change and an ability to identify and implement new processes.
• Able to engage with and lead engineering teams to success within a project-oriented environment.
• Thrives in a dynamic and multi-tasking environment, often with ambiguity in requirements.
• Excellent communication skills across all stakeholders from colleagues to customers.
• Organised and diligent, diplomatic and professional.
• Confident in challenging practices and able to question without conflict.
• Willingness to travel (UK and overseas) to supplier and customer sites.
FACTS AND FIGURES
Pay & Benefits – Competitive Package
Department – Engineering & Production (Software Capability)
Reporting to – Head of Engineering & Production
Location – Stoke Gifford, Bristol
Contract type – Permanent, full-time or contract (negotiable)
Job Reference – 34/19
At Stirling Dynamics we celebrate diversity. We work hard to make sure were inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do, we want to hear from you!
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
We review CV’s as we receive them and interview as soon as we receive good applications. We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoiding missing out on this role.
No agencies please