Due to an increase in volume of work from new contracts and supporting continued growth, Stirling Dynamics is looking for a talented Principal Software Engineer to join our team.
The primary objective of the role will be to lead and develop a small software capability that provides support across the business (Aerospace, Active Control Technology, Marine etc.). The initial challenge will be to review the existing company; processes, methods and tools relating to software with the objective of defining and implementing improvement. The resulting capability will need to be able to support rigorous safety critical software development activities (e.g. DO-178) through to quick, low-level code generation to support in-house tools or development activities.
In addition to the software capability activities, the Principal engineer will be responsible for leading the delivery of the software solution within bids and projects.
This role is based in our Bristol office and may require occasional trips to customer sites.
The role would suit an individual who has 10+ years of relevant, post-graduate, industrial experience and is looking to further their career.
- Develop and maintain the company software capability (comprising of; people, processes, methods and tools)
- Provide software engineering expertise across all business areas
- Provide technical leadership of software activities whether at the bid and project phase
- Follow development procedures, including those issued via the Company’s Quality Management System, classification, and statutory bodies
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Candidates will be degree qualified in a related discipline
- Solid and demonstrable C & C++ coding experience
- Experience working within a highly regulated industry sector (rail, aerospace nuclear etc.) to rigorous standards
- Systems development lifecycle exposure
- Networking stack experience (Ethernet, CAN Bus, TCP/IP experience)
- Skilled in Configuration Management and use of Version Control Systems (JIRA, Perforce, Git)
- Experience of Real Time Operating Systems (such as VxWorks, LynxOS or QNX is desirable)
- Sound awareness of coding standards and how this effects code quality
- Exposure to developing software for embedded electronic systems
The personal qualities of the jobholder will be key to success in this role. The role demands a self-motivated attitude with a real drive to progress. The following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the role:
- A confident leader
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and be able to demonstrate initiative
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently when required
- Ability to take ownership of an activity and see through to a successful outcome
- Demonstrable diplomatic and professional approach when dealing with reports, colleagues and customers
- The confidence to challenge practices and the willingness to question to gain a full understanding of issues
- The capability to work efficiently and accurately, with an attention to detail
FACTS AND FIGURES
Pay & Benefits – Competitive Package (Grade 7)
Department – Software
Reporting to – Head of Engineering
Location – Bristol – Stoke Gifford
Contract type – Full-time, permanent