The successful candidate(s) will be involved in the full project lifecycle from assisting with bids for new and continuing work to delivering existing long-term programmes of work. Specifically, the role involves the planning, monitoring and control of allocated projects within the Active Controls (ACT) Business Unit. Key to this is ensuring that projects are controlled in line with the company’s Quality Management System (QMS) and project management procedures within the level of delegated authority. Stirling Dynamics operates projects based on the PRINCE2 approach and aligns with the principles of the Association for Project Management (APM) Body of Knowledge (BoK).
These roles would suit a variety of candidates who have previous engineering and current project management experience looking to move into a fast-moving company with a world-wide customer base.
This role is based in our Clifton office (moving to North Bristol, December 2019) and may require occasional trips to customer sites in the UK or internationally. The candidate must be willing to undergo and obtain UK Security Clearance.
- Reporting to the Programme Manager, manage a portfolio of projects in accordance with the company Programme, Project and Product Management company procedures, tailoring to each project as required under the direction of the Business Unit Manager acting as the Project Sponsor.
- Participation in the Bid Phase, either supporting the Business Unit Managers or leading bids directly including preparation of proposals (commercial and technical), estimates and initial pricing.
- Preparation of all Project Start-up and Initiation Documentation, including: Project Briefs (Charter); Project Management Plans (PMP); project schedules; project budgets; and tracking registers.
- Management of Risk (through reduction) and Opportunity (through optimisation) in accordance with company procedures.
- Tracking and monitoring progress of all allocated projects in terms of: Time, Cost and Quality.
- Preparation of project financial data including budget updates, cost to go and cost at completion.
- Management of project resource demand and participation in Business Unit resource levelling through accurate representation of the project demand in the business forecasting system.
- Stakeholder management (both internal and external to customer and suppliers).
- Subcontractor management, generation of Invitations to Tender (ITT), Request for Quotes (RFQ).
- Control of project invoicing and management of payments with Finance Department and correct profiling within the business forecasting system.
- Management and control of any contract changes with the customer for all allocated projects, ensuring adherence to process.
- Oversight of configuration management of project product deliverables to company procedures.
- Ensure effective customer communications take place and that the customer needs are met in all respects, and effective internal communications are maintained.
- Co-ordination/collection of project data from all project team members, including hours booked, hours to complete, costs incurred/to complete.
- Early and clear reporting, raising and escalation of project issues, risks and potential problems.
- Support the implementation of Best Practice project management across the company and identify opportunities for improving processes and efficiency.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- General experience within aerospace, maritime or defence engineering environment
- Experienced stakeholder manager, able to lead project reviews and generate effective reporting
- Degree qualified in a science, technology, engineering, mathematics or related discipline
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project and MS Excel
- Competent user of Microsoft office suite; including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Financially astute, able to create and manage project budgets, maintain margin and deliver returns
- Experience of project management for small/medium scale production, experience of master production scheduling, quality control, certificate of conformance generation and non-conformance management
Desirable (no expectation that all can be met):
- Line management experience (of at least one other)
- Qualified PRINCE2 Practitioner (or Project Management Professional)
- Member of the Association of Project Management (MAPM), or equivalent
- Experience of UK/EU Export Control and Foreign Regulatory Frameworks (EAR/ITAR)
- Knowledge of (any) aerospace standards EASA CS25, CS23, FAA FAR25, FAR23, ARP 4754, Do-254 and Do-178B/C or functional safety related, such as IEC61508
- Experience of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as MS NAV/Dynamics or SAP
- Ability to lead self and others in challenging technical environments
- Able to work with a wide experience level from junior engineers to well-regarded technical consultants
- Self-starter, able to work within delegated authority
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to line manager at least one Project Co-Ordinator or Project Administrator
- Confident in prioritisation and managing concurrent workstreams
- Ability to manage own workload and work to deadlines
- Adept at working with highly technical engineering teams
- Be an effective communicator, both written and verbal
- A proactive and assertive nature with the motivation to succeed
- Able to travel nationally and internationally on an occasional basis
Application deadline: 26/08/2019