Due to an increase in volume of work from new contracts and supporting continued growth, Stirling Dynamics is looking for a Principal Engineer (Marine Systems) on a permanent basis within our marine business area.
The ideal candidate will have previously held senior technical roles on software intensive complex systems or marine equipment programmes and is likely (but not essential) to be working within the marine or defence industries with exposure to submarines or subsea equipment being highly desirable.
Working across our marine systems programmes, the ideal candidate will be flexible, willing to learn and value a changing environment. An ability to work from rapid concepts to more formal safety critical development projects.
This role is based in our Clifton office (moving to North Bristol, November 2019) and may require occasional trips to customer sites in the UK or internationally. The candidate must be willing to undergo and obtain UK Security Clearance.
- Be accountable for the technical success in terms of time, cost and quality for allocated projects and act as the subject matter expert for marine systems engineering within the business
- Drive technical excellence through promoting robust and industry accepted systems engineering approaches to marine programmes
- Effectively line manage a functionally diverse team of engineers ensuring positive staff conduct, provision of welfare and adherence to Company & Human Resource policies
- Maintain staff performance and manage staff development ensuring that formal development reviews are conducted in a timely and appropriate manner and training needs are identified and acted upon
Business Development and Bid Leadership
- Support the Business Development team to mature new opportunities and develop new customers through attendance and presentation at conferences, industry events and customer engagements
- Working with Project Management and Business Management lead the generation of technical solutions in response to customer needs, support cost estimating and bid preparation
- Seek opportunities to innovate and drive new technologies, processes and product outputs within the business and with external stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree (Masters desirable) in a relevant engineering discipline
- Candidates should have demonstrable experience to a high degree in at least 2 of the following areas:
- Domain knowledge in submarine, subsea or complex software intensive engineering
- Embedded Systems design or electronic engineering design
- Control systems theory (application to be demonstrated at interview)
- Applied knowledge in Hydrodynamics, hydrostatics or buoyancy
- Mathematical modelling and simulation of control systems
- Safety-critical systems and software engineering
- Systems engineering (multi-disciplinary)
- Practical experience in working within the systems “V-Model” lifecycle and practical understanding of the value of Configuration Management (CM)
The ideal candidate will typically come from a software, systems or equipment engineering background. However mechanical or electrical marine systems engineering experience will also be considered where there is an interest and an aptitude to develop an understanding and appreciation of software intensive systems.
The personal qualities of the jobholder will be key to success in this role. The following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the role:
- Technically capable, able to fit the role of trusted expert within the organisation
- Able to engage with and lead engineering teams to success within a project-oriented environment
- Thrives in a dynamic and multi-tasking environment, often with ambiguity in requirements
- Excellent communication skills across all stakeholders from colleagues to customers
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative
- Organised and diligent, diplomatic and professional
- Confident in challenging practices and able to question without conflict
- Willingness to travel (UK and overseas) to supplier and customer sites
Application deadline: 11/08/2019